Friday 26 July 2013

Secure your Network by enabling 'MAC Filter' option

I don't really understand how to start this post but yes I made my network secure and wanted you people as well to do the same, that is why I want to share with you my experience...

I got this when trying to dig into my modem setup about how I can secure my internet connection to not get shared with people I don't want...

I know there is option for wireless security and password system but I used a unique system to secure my internet.  Let me show you some of my settings...

I hope you can see my wireless security settings, if you notice 'Network Authentication' is 'Open' and 'WEP Encryption' is 'disables'...

Now anybody who can see my wireless network signals might think that its an open network to connect, right?

Yes it is, there is no doubt in it, but the problem is when he will try to connect this open connection, it will not connect and the message he will always get is that 'disconnected'...

There is no problem with the network and nothing wrong with internet connection as but the thing which is working through this is that my MAC filter is enabled...

I will show you how to enable it and how it works almost 'perfectly' for me at least... ;)

Before you start, first thing that is important is that you connect your PC or Laptop with router/modem with network cable (which normally comes with your router/modem), and not with wireless connection...

Once you login to your modem by giving 192.168.1.1 address for router setup and admin/admin as your user and password.

Now look for MAC filter option in your modem setup might look light below image if you are using PTCL internet services and their device/modem... 


In the above picture if you see I did enable the MAC filter.  Do the same and save the settings.

After you saved now you look for your PC/Laptop MAC address by opening your command prompt...

and writing command ipconfig/all

You will see some information running on the screen, now look for wireless adapter physical address which will look like 00:FV:AB:12:45:78...



Remember that after enabling the MAC Filter option you select 'Allow' option which will let you add the MAC addresses you want to allow to connect to your network and rest of them will not be able to connect.

Simply add the physical address of your wireless network adapter and you are done...

Now remove the cable and try to connect with wireless connection... You will notice that your connection will be open and not secure by wireless password but your MAC filter will not allow any other device to the network till the time you do not allow it by entering its MAC (physical address)...

The only way is to connect with your router/modem is if you let someone connect his/her PC/Laptop with network cable or you yourself let them connect by entering their PC/Laptop's MAC address to your Allow filter list...

I hope this might help you get your connect secure...

Remember one thing that once a person connected to your network means that person can enter into setup of your modem by using standard ip address 192.168.1.1 and standard user/password admin/admin...

Better you change your router/modem admin password by finding Management Menu and then Security Access or Password change option and change it so that no one can know your settings...

Best of luck with this security trick trick...

1 comment:

  1. It's not secure. You can check which clients are connected to wifi network, change your mac address to connected one and disauthenticate victim. Then you are connected to Wifi network as legit user.

    check more at http://panidotowarzystwa.pl

    ReplyDelete